The temple grounds

Main Hall (hondō)

Rebuilt in 1601, the main hall and its central dais (shumidan) were funded by Yodogimi (1557-1615), consort of Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

MainGate (Nandaimon)

This Momoyama-period structure with gabled tile roof set on four support pillars was built at
the same time as the reconstruction of the main hall.

Bell tower (shōrō)

Constructed with a hip-and-gable roof and flared base, the bell tower has goblin tiles inscribed with the date Keichō 7 (1601).

Meishō Garden

Famed for its iris, the garden’s stones, trees and iris were brought from the retired emperor’s palace in Kyoto (sentō gosho) in the seventeenth century.

Goma Hall

The site of monthly fire rituals, the hall was built in 2005.

Yokobue Hall

The oldest structure on the present Hokkeji precincts, this hall is dedicated to Yokobue, a young woman living in the thirteenth century whose tale is told in the tenth book of the Tales of the Heike.

Bathhouse (Karafuro)

Empress Kōmyō is said to have vowed to aid those in trouble, providing purifying ablutions for the merit of one thousand of the sick and suffering. Steam from water boiled at the back of the building is circulated under the boards to create a sauna.
The present bathhouse was reconstructed in 1766. Viewable only from the outside.

Kōgetsutei House

This eighteenth-century thatched-roof farmhouse was transferred from Tsukigase Village in Nara.

Jikō Storehouse

Hokkeji temple treasures are stored safely here.

Karakuen Flower Garden

The garden sports 750 different plants, including a hundred camellia trees and special Hokkeji lotus.

Stone inscribed with a poem by Aizu Yaichi

藤原の 大き后をうつしみに あひみるごとく あかきくちびる

Stone inscribed with a poem by Hashimoto Takako

古雛    をみなの道ぞ いつくしき

Stone inscribed with a poem by Yamanobe no Akahito

いにしえの古き堤は年深み池の渚に水草生ひにけり